Monday, February 22, 2010

Sunday AM Brunch Recipes



The cup in the picture was a Christmas gift from my sister Michele about four years ago and used to alternate with my poinsetta mug at my desk when I worked in a busy office. All that I had was my mug and a picture of my grand daughter! This was Saturday am and I had applebutter with cream cheese on rye bread (my Grammy's favorite) on my favorite green plate.



Sunday morning brunch was so yummy...an italian 4-cheese fritatta and breakfast apple cake. Both of these are much easier that they sound. The fritatta is made with eggs, cheese, and leftover pasta and/or vegetables so there is no chopping! The cake I devised because my daughter came home very late from work the night before with a craving for it.

The next morning I wasn't feeling so great (stomach issues) so I decided to improvise! I usually cook breakfast on Sunday mornig since we are all at home. The fritatta I'd made before with some success.

Fritatta:
It's easy. You need a 10 inch skillet...although two would make it easier. Take leftover pasta (spoon sized) and vegetables and mix with five beaten eggs. About 1 cup of pasta is all you need...I used 1 1/2 cups this time. I also took 1 cup of frozen spinach and defrosted it and added it in because I was short on vegetables. Left over, de-seeded tomatoes are great too, as well as unsalted tomato chunks from a can! Add one cup of shredded italian
four cheese blend (or your choice) and season to taste. I add pepper, garlic powder, marjoram, and sage...just a dash of each. Mix the cheese and seasonings in well. Fresh herbs from the garden are wonderful in season.

Heat up your skillet really well, on low. I use either an iron or a non-stick but I add 1/3 cup of oil to the pan and work it up the sides a bit. Make sure to let it heat a bit or your food will stick.

Turn the ingredients into your pan and spread it out but don't press it down. Let it cook about three minutes but check the underside and once it is golden brown and the ingredients are partially cooked, it is time to flip it over! For this you need either another skillet or a large flat plate, in which case you will be flipping it twice.
Before the contents go back into your original pan, I suggest adding another 1/3 cup of oil. If you are using an additional pan just oil it as you did the first one. Line up your pans or pan and plate and using a towel or potholders, flip! This is that so both sides are browned. This is an additional two to four minutes on this side. It should be firm.


Let sit about five minutes and depending on the type of pan, you can cut and serve, or turn onto a plate to do it. This makes enough for four to six people depending on the size of the wedges.


My Apple Breakfast Cake:

Assemble: White cake mix, water, small bag of walnut pieces, ground cinnamon, 2 eggs, ½ cup margarine. Luck Leaf Apple Pie Filling (no spiced fillings) and brown sugar (small amount). I skipped the oil buy mistake and the cake was fine. Add the 1/3 cup of oil back in or add 1/3 cup plain applesause if you would like a moister cake, although this is fine and not dry.


Mix the cake. I use 2 whole eggs instead of the required egg whites. Use an 8x8 or 8x9 pan. Melt most of the margarine in the bottom of the pan (don't brown it) while preheating the oven. Remove, let sit while mixing the cake. Grease side of pan with margarine, then dust pan bottom with ground cinnamon(over melted margarine) and then with 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar.


Now cover pan bottom with one layer of chopped walnuts. Now take 12-16 apple slices from the filling and place in rows horizontally across the pan bottom. Fold rest of filling into the cake mix. Then fold batter gently into pan. The 8x8 will be very full but this is ok. Bake at 350 degrees until top is golden brown, making sure that a fork or toothpick comes out mostly clean.Make sure that you scoop up the topping (on the bottom of the pan) when you serve this. It is not overly sweet and is breakfast, brunch, or tea-worthy!

This was a big hit, and it is GONE! If you need a bigger cake double your ingredients and use a 9X13 pan.

More Talk Later!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentary: