Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Blizzard Happened! Knit time...


We had a BIG snowfall here, with the ususal stuff: folks who go out when they don't need to, festival pushed back, etc. The skiers are in heaven! We are in the heart of a giant valley here, surrounded by mountains with lots of trees in Pennsylvania. "Penn's Woods"...how apropriate...Since 1996 we haven't had more than a few snowstorms a year, being protected by the mountains so we are due! We've had lots of the white stuff this year!

We actually live less than two blocks from the mountain now, as I can tell when a storm comes! It sounds like our slate roof will fly off and our lady cat, Merry, hides.

I spent part of the early morning Saturday working on my spunky (6 year-old Spiderman fan) grand daughter's sweater, a cardigan that gets a hand-sewn-in zipper in Red Heart's Pink Camo Multi (pics to follow). I like children's sweater because they knit up sooo quickly! The sweater is from Knitsimple magazine's Fall 2009 issue, the girl's sweater with the split "bows" on the front of it.

I call this blog " A Little Knit of This and That" since I always have projects going (when I am not stitching on canvas instead). My mind is always going in 10 directions and I wish I could slow that down...once I convert the middle upstairs room to a computer space I am going to hang my "projects" up and give them table space! My last "little" project was a LONG fingerless mitt designed in a basketweave knit, with a division. The plan is to make a matching scarf, etc. It was done in a Livingquarters Fall Multi that I picked up at Walmart a few years ago (their brand).

The colors are jade and a sort of plum, very pretty. I haven't mastered double pointed needles yet, so this was knitted in one piece and I developed a thumb piece that is whip-stiched on. It is called the "Lorelai" after the "Gilmore Girls" character, since it is soooo colorful! It covers the wrist and goes up about 3 inches of the forearm on me and I have a habit of using stockingnette stich to create the "rollable" edges on both ends. This allows you to roll the front edge up to uncover the fingers, or roll it down for more coverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentary: